Walt Disney World Country Bear Jamboree Flashback to 1975

On a recent trip home to Chicago, I was going through old family photos when I came across a box of my mom's slides from the 1970's. I held the tiny slides up to the light and couldn't believe there were a number of photos from her first ever trip to Walt Disney World in 1975! While there were some very standard pictures of the castle, Main Street, Bay Lake, fireworks, and Mickey Mouse, I was surprised to see that the majority of her photos were the Country Bear Jamboree! I had no idea my mom was such a fan of this attraction. My mom has passed away, so I cannot ask her about her memories of this trip, but I love imagining how she must have reacted seeing the bears for the first time and wanting to capture her memories of this show.

I took the slides to get digitally converted so I can share them with you! You will notice that this show is mostly unchanged since these early photos. The main difference I noticed was just the Pepsi sponsoring on the opening curtain. 

I also will be sharing a couple of CBJ souvenirs I have acquired at antique stores that most likely were sold around the time she visited.












This first item I found a couple years ago at an antique store in Albuquerque, New Mexico for $7.50. It's a large poster of Big Al! It is faded from sunlight, but I think it gives it a cool style. I framed it, and it now hangs in my bedroom. Think about being able to buy this in the park?! I find it interesting that Big Al is the fan favorite when his role in the show is smaller or equal to the other bears like Henry, Teddi, etc... While I am not complaining that they made so much Big Al merch, I would have loved to see more of the other bears as well. 




This next item I found for around $20 at an antique store in Chicago a few years ago. It is a ceramic piggy bank made by the company Treasure Craft, featuring the Five Bear Rugs. This company made a lot of ceramic items found in the parks and resorts in the 1970's such as souvenir plates, ashtrays, mugs, and salt & pepper shakers. Their signature style resembles carved wood which I think is a really unique look. Also, how crazy the Five Bear Rugs are featured?! The 70's were wild!





Thanks for taking this trip back in time with me! 


Comments